Spicy Lentil Vegan Soup
• 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large chopped onion
• 2 large garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tsp ground turmeric
• 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
• 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
• 400ml tin of full-fat coconut milk
• 140 grams uncooked red lentils, rinsed and drained
• 875ml vegetable stock
• salt & pepper, to taste
• pinch of ground cayenne pepper, to taste
• 140g baby spinach
• 4 tsp fresh lime juice, to taste
- In a pan, add the oil, onion, and garlic. Add a pinch of salt, stir, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, and cardamom until combined. Continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, coconut milk, red lentils, stock, salt, and plenty of pepper. Add a pinch of ground cayenne, if desired. Stir to combine. Increase heat to high and simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for about 25 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach. Add the lime juice. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve soup in bowls, top with parsley and serve with toasted bread.
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!