How to Make a Carrot & Pistachio Cake
- 250ml sunflower oil
- 250g caster sugar
- Zest ½ orange
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 250 self-raising flour, sifted
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 100g pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 300g cream cheese
- 75g icing sugar, sifted
- Zest ½ orange
- 1-2tbsp orange juice
- Heat the oven to 180C. Grease a shallow 20x30cm (8x12in) cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper, extending the paper about 5cm above the tin.
- Place the oil, sugar, orange zest and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer bowl and mix on a medium speed until well beaten. Reduce the speed of the mixer and gradually add the eggs.
- Sift over the flour and cinnamon and gently fold in with a large spoon until smooth. Fold in the grated carrot and half the chopped pistachio nuts. Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden and firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for about 10 minutes, then, with the help of the overhanging baking paper, turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, use a mixer to mix together all the ingredients until smooth and light. Spread over the top of the cake and sprinkle with the remaining nuts.
- This Crunchy Carrot & Pistachio cake is amazing layered too. Just mix up twice the frosting, bake another cake and assemble. Voilà!
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!
carrot and pistachio cake recipe great british bake offcarrot and pistachio tray bakecarrot cake with pistachio toppingground pistachio cakepistachio cake from scratchpistachio cake ukpistachio flour cakepistachio layer cake