Creamy Stilton Mushrooms on Toast
- Chestnut mushrooms
- Brown bread
- Fresh basil
- Blue cheese (soft, Stilton or Gorgonzola)
- Double cream
- Mixed spices
- Olive oil
- Chop the mushrooms into quarters and place in a bowl. Add a small amount of olive oil, and some herbs of your choice – I like rosemary, garlic, thyme, coriander, fresh basil and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Mix together in the bowl so the mushrooms are lightly coated, then leave them to one side for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Heat a pan and add the herby mushrooms with a small cup of water. Cover and leave to steam for 3 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan, draining the liquid into a bowl and then return this liquid to the hot pan but do not place it on the heat. Add a small amount of cream to this liquid, a 1cm wide wedge of the blue cheese and allow to melt together.
- Return the mushrooms to the pan and mix so they are evenly coated and add a generous amount of fresh basil leaves.
- Finally, toast some bread. Place the bread on a plate, add a couple of spoonfuls of the mushrooms with blue cheese sauce. Garnish with more fresh basil and serve.
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!
creamy garlic mushroomsmushrooms in port and stilton saucestilton and mushroom pastastilton and mushroom sauce for chickenstilton and mushroom sauce without creamstilton and mushroom soupstilton bacon and mushroom starterstilton mushrooms nigel slater